Village. n. A community of people; a group of people living in a particular local area and sharing characteristics, interests and activities
e-. prefix. Electronic, indicating the involvement of the internet
e-village. a group of people living in a particular area whose shared interests and activities are nurtured through the internet.
Welcome to Charters Towers’ E-village. If you are part of Charters Towers, then this is your village.
And, just like a village, it is a place for you to share interests, share information, and maybe do a little business in Charters Towers. In short, it is a place as well as a tool to connect with others and with what is going on.
Here, you will be able to discover what is on in town – every member organisation (business and community) can:
- add their events to the Charters Towers Calendar.
- Find a phone number or address – our database of phone numbers is more up to date than the latest phone book (but do let us know if there is something missing!)
- Read the news – discover what is going on locally and further afield that affects you
- Post news items – control your message, have your say and let the community know what is going on
- Stay in touch – receive a daily wrap of news, events and goings on
- Claim your dates and avoid clashing with others – everyone has access to this calendar.
- Post your events – from a BBQ to a Sale – on the Calendar, and sell your tickets online through E-village Events.
- Find a phone number or address
- Create an online presence using your member page – you can update it and add to it to meet the needs of your customers, members and the community
- Share your stories directly with the community to the News section.
- Advertise using affordable banner and sidebar advertising within the News
- Stay in touch – make sure your next event or promotional campaign is included in the daily news that is sent to all members and subscribers.*
- Make a campaign and run it here
- Expand your online presence slowly, benefitting from the economies of scale that the e-village provide. Web design, hosting, logos, branding, corporate id are all in our bag of tricks.
Who is behind it all?
It’s a little bit complicated – but not too much.
There are two parts to it.
The whole E-village concept and all of its intellectual property.
The villages themselves, such as Charters Towers E-village.
- The whole E-village concept.
Basically, it is Chris Gribble and Bryan West.
Chris and his wife April, and kids 1, 2, 3 and 4 are now living in Toowoomba.
Bryan still lives locally, with Amy and their kids Charlotte and Tom. (Although, there are spending 2013 living with friends at a station 3 hours from Augathella)
The idea of the e-village emerged from our belief that sustainable communities need sustainable business, and that for business to be sustainable it must serve its communities. Local organisations need a way to establish a web presence without breaking the bank, everyone needs a single point of contact for event details, and we all need access to lots of stuff that we all would really like to be in one place.
It was while they were working together at Charters Towers State High School about a decade ago that they started to explore their entrepreneurial spirit. From worm farms to bike seats, they have gone on to start GWF Pty Ltd to explore some of their more promising business ideas.
Their company is a diversified enterprise that has staff across Australia and overseas working on a few different things, from web development and design, to training, consulting and managing their own low cost VoIP phone service.
That company developed and owns e-village.com.au and the associated IP.
But, because the e-village concept is intended to reinvest all income back into its community activities, Chris and Bryan created another company. That company is E-village Pty Ltd. E-village Pty Ltd has a constitution that makes clear that profits cannot be distributed to shareholders. It’s kind of like an Incorporated Association, but not limited to operating in one state.
E-village Pty Ltd has a peppercorn lease with GWF Pty Ltd to operate e-village.com.au and is responsible for all of its activities. This includes creating agreements with third parties to operate individual villages.
2. The Charters Towers E-Village
Trish Gallacher is responsible for the Charters Towers E-village. E-village Pty Ltd provides her with the relevant hardware, software and other support needed to administer the Charters Towers E-village as she sees fit.
The Charters Towers E-village legally operates under the name Trish Gallacher trading as Charters Towers E-village.
The goal of the Charters Towers E-village is quite simple:
to create a place where everyone can connect in a way that everyone benefits.